Verksamhetsplan 2021 - Work in progress

This is our official plan for 2021, and some vision stuff woven in. Please read it, since I’m actually happy enough with it that I might want to spread it around.

Edit: New version with fixed typos and grammar and a new spread on the Always Becoming program
Blivande-Plan-2021.pdf (13.6 MB)

Please read @blivande-core and @betastaff

2 Likes

I should say, the images can easily be updated and I’d appreciate some better shots, but I would appreciate “you could use this image in this place instead” with the image uploaded in high enough resolution, rather than “I don’t like this image”.

1 Like

Absolutely great work dear Hugi!
A bit too tired reading this (at 6 AM) so my feedback below will be primarily about typos and such things. I very much agree with the overall feel and content of the document.

Blivande is founded on the belief that
building networked ecosystems of
creative people emerged in the principles
of participatory culture can help meet
challenges in society as a whole.

You really want to write “emerged in” here? I would have written “immersed in the principles” or “emerging from the principles”.

Members in the arts involve members in
their projects who do not identify as artists,
and trust and understanding is build among
them.

“…trust and understanding is built among them.”

Incentives are used to cultivate the best
possible ecosystem, rather than for profit.

Slight syntax error. Maybe rather something like “Incentives are geared towards cultivating a regenerative ecosystem; priming its members to strive for collaboration and symbiotic synergy rather than individualistic monetary profit.”?

From 2022 and
forward, Frihamnstorget would be our main
avenue of expansion and growth.

Would replace “forward” with “onward”, but that’s very minor.

If we recieve
grants from Region Stockholm, we plan to
hire a Coordinating Director and an Outreach
Coordinator

-> receive

There may only be 40 members, but the
relations between them are many more! Each
relation in the network should be given care
and attention.

I think it might be better to write “There may be only 40 members” (if you can be bothered as both are technically still correct). The current phrasing tilts towards indicating that “there may only be 40 members” as if there was a cap. I think it’s a Swenglish type of word placement in this context, but I could be wrong. Maybe @kimgajraj could chime in her as a native speaker.

Blivande currently has a team of 10 people who
work on maintaining the core activities and
doing outreach and engagement for Blivande
as a whole. Most of these are unpaid and only
compensated through free memberships. Some
of the core team are paid through project grants
specific to their line of work. This includes
community management and outreach for the
Vinnova-funded Plato Project.

I’m not sure whether it’s to our benefit or not to seem “bigger” than we are in the sense that there’s a huge difference between 10 full-time employees and our current “workforce”. I would probably overestimate the size of Blivande’s core crew reading this paragraph as an outsider. Can see both pros and cons with both approaches. I guess we should err on the side of seeming bigger than we actually are as that would make us seem more legitimate in the eyes of the city and the grant committees.

Frihamnstorget should be a true “third place” - neither fully
private nor public, curated and maintained
by its members.

Would write “is” or “is to be” rather than “should be”.

(Är kolonilotter verkligen så präglade av samarbete nuförtiden? Jag har fått intrycket av att de flesta bara odlar på sina lotter för sig själva och samarbetar mindre än man kan tro?
Ska fråga Linus Ericsson om hans erfarenhet.)

A typical Frihamnstorget activity is weekly
“Work Is Play”-days, where people are
invited to co-create projects at the square
while a DJ plays tunes, food and drink
is available in the café and everyone
is invited to either pick up a tool, or a
paitbrush or to just lie down in a hammock
with a cold drink. Frihamnstorget is also
a place for high quality art installations,
galleries, performances and other culture
experiences.

This could do with some polishing. Too long and a bit clunky sentence.

Blivande Idéer AB rents
both House Blivande and
the parkinglot

-> parking lot

Lasercutting
• Hand held CNC milling
• Parametic design
• CAD and digital modelling
• Welding and metalworking
• Sewing with grown textiles

-> laser cutting
-> hand-held
-> parametric design

Citizens´ initiative
is taken care of, while the public sector´s

Replace ´ with '.

Also the title and header of the document could really be improved in terms of legibility. “Blivande Idéer AB” almost disappears against the sky and I think the red “Activity plan” should be enlarged and perhaps put against a unicolor background “box” rather than the container image. Would keep the white Blivande logo as it is but move it so it’s fully in the sky with the clouds.

So great Hugi! Ahhhh it’s so inspiring to read. It really makes me feel excited about what is going on at the house and the square. I think the text is clear and extremely persuasive about why the spaces and initiatives should be supported.

Comments on Hampus’ comments :upside_down_face: :

Embedded?

I think it’s possible to read both possibilities as though there were a cap. It could be worth adding something like “There may as yet be only 40 members”, though I am not sure it matters that much, especially because the first paragraph says we want to expand to 80 members in 2021. I’m now in a place where I’ve read both sentences so many times that both sound super weird, but I don’t think there is much difference in it.

I think the fact that the 10 people are not paid makes it clear that they are running Blivande alongside other activities. And the fact that 10 people want to give time to helping run the place because they believe in the vision is a big plus!

Comments on the text:

p.4 paragraph 3

Through that trust, it becomes possible to use resouces according to ability and need,

resources

p.4 paragraph 3

Incentives are used to cultivate the best possible ecosystem, rather than for profit.

Perhaps something like: “Activity is driven by the motivation to cultivate the best possible ecosystem through collaboration, [rather than to generate profit // rather than the traditional incentive of individual monetary gain]”

I liked @hampus’ addition of contrasting togetherness with individualism but found the suggested alternative a bit jargon-y and alienating as compared to the rest of the text.

p.4 paragraph 4

Blivande should be a creative village in the city

Not sure about “should”, in a similar way to what Hampus said about Frihamnstorget. Blivande “will” be? “strives to be”?

I LOOOOOOVE THE INTER-CONNECTED FACE BUBBLES MAP!!! :heart: :facepunch:

p.8 paragraph 2: There is an “r” missing from Frihamnstorget

p.8 paragraph 3

A typical Frihamnstorget activity is weekly “Work Is Play”-days, where people are invited to co-create projects at the square while a DJ plays tunes, food and drink
is available in the café and everyone
is invited to either pick up a tool, or a paitbrush or to just lie down in a hammock
with a cold drink. Frihamnstorget is also a place for high quality art installations, galleries, performances and other culture experiences.

Agree with Hampus that it’s a bit clunky. Suggestion:

A typical activity at Frihamnstorget is “Work Is Play”. Once a week, people are invited to spend the day on the square and co-create projects while a DJ plays tunes and food and drink is served from the café. Everyone is invited to pick up a tool or a paintbrush, or simply flop down in a hammock with a cold drink. Artists and makers get extra hands working on their projects, while those with less experience get an accessible way to learn new skills from talented people. [I added that last bit because I think it’s a cool thing about work is play, though you’ve kind of said that before so fee free to ignore]

Frihamnstorget is also a place for high quality art installations, galleries, performances and other culture experiences.

high-quality

Though to be honest, to me “high-quality” is overused in advertising and starts to sound a bit gimmicky and cheap. Consider changing for “outstanding” or a similar superlative?

p.9 paragraph 1

Blivande are the stewards

Blivande has been referred to ib the singular up until now

p.9

Secret Experience
A food-based fairy tale art experience for groups.

I think this counts as fairy tale being used as an adjective, so needs a hyphen.

Skiljelinjer
A collaborative design process exploring disagreement as a decision making principle, funded by Kulturbryggan.

Same as above for decision-making

p.12 paragraph 2

exhibitions, clubs as well as our public community events.

exhibitions and clubs as well as our pubic community events

p. 17

Blivande is a full member of the Trans Europe Halles network
of cultural spaces and will seek exchanges with it’s partner spaces around Europe in 2021.

its (it’s = it is; its = belonging to it)

I agree about the way the text and has been superimposed on the images, on the cover and the last page. Perhaps just adding one of those faded white or black box thingies under the text would help it to stand out more?

1 Like

I’ve made a new version now. Typos and grammar raised by @hampus and @kimgajraj have been fixed.

There is also a new spread that pulls together a lot of events we are planning for 2021 and compiles them into a program we’re calling “Always Becoming”. This is the program we will be applying for funding with from Stockholms Stad. Obviously, going through with all of this is only possible if we get the funding.

@MariaEuler, @SofiaAnner, @Linnea - I have included you in the “production team”. This doesn’t add anything that you are not already doing, and does not commit you to anything. We just need to speak the language of the funding bodies, even though we know that the way things work in practice is a lot more fluid and distributed. If you want me to take you off that list, let me know.

Blivande-Plan-2021.pdf (13.6 MB)

If you have a good idea for an additional activity that would add more weight and oomph to the application, let me know tomorrow at the latest. We will be finishing this application in the next few days.

This application is for funding of Blivande as a whole. If we get it, we can spend a little more time doing art and fun projects and a little less time on selling parties that make money. So to be clear, this funding is not for the project listed in this program, but for Blivande and the core staff to be able to focus on running these more interesting events rather than spending all of our time trying to cover rent and salaries.

Ping @filipnystrom - this is the program for the application we’ve been working on.

Ping also @Nicke, @jonasjohansson, @Ollxor, @jakobskote, @Frida_Simon, @NinaLindberg, @bobspeakman, @missChief - check if anything needs to be changed. Note that this plan does not bind you to anything - you can still choose to not go through with it even if we get funding, these things often change quite a lot as they develop.

2 Likes

I am very happy to be included. Just want to mention that my legal name now is Maria Kling, just in case that is relevant.

1 Like

Got it!

Läst, blir så glad. Skriv in mig var du vill :sunny:

1 Like