Textiles Workshop (Room Number 4)

Ok, I’m that case the best option would be to go with the company card and buy it over the counter.

Just let me know when you wish to borrow the card to do this. We also have a car at Blivande again now.

1 Like

@brooks and I had a productive discussion today. I’ll segment it for clarity.

MACHINES
We agreed that the Husqvarna overlocker is not sufficient to cover an actual overlocker machine.
Counting all other expenses, we have an extra 3-4K available within our 30K budget.
A regular (we could search for a second hand here too @brooks ?) machine costs 6K. As mentioned, we could source a second hand one.
There is another machine option called Babylock, but it is twice as expensive.
In the long term it would be very-times-10 suited for us because it adjusts to the thickness of a fabric when there are multiple users/different projects and is much easier to thread: the advantage is that a regular overlocker is difficult to thread for a regular user and if someone messes up or say, uses a very different fabric thickness after somebody else, it might stop production for that day as someone would have to re-thread it. And that is not an easy task.
I think perhaps the Babylock could be a future investment, and for now we can buy either a used or new Overlocker (6K) which means we exceed our budget by 2K. In some time, we can sell the overlocker and buy a Babylock. Prices are outlined in the Excel doc. that I made. @hugi, please advise.

COSMETICS
We need to make this room look cool and magical, so that people want to come back and feel inspired doing their projects.
We want to make this room operational mid-May (explained in later segment) so we really need more members to step up and help out with painting and decorating.
I’m thinking cacti on the window ledges. Because why not. I also saw a peculiar colour from a photo showed to me by a colleague when he was visiting a castle in North India.
This can be fun.
Really lacking extra hands here.

DONATIONS
On behalf of Tau, could we reach out for donations?
The most ambitious one is if anyone has a spare laptop, so that people can upload their embroidery files onto that.
Other welcome donations are toys to be recycled as pin cushions.
If we make a list of items people might have, would it be possible to reach out to the community and ask?

RECRUIT AND MOBILISE
As above mentioned, we need a few more people to help out with the set-up, if possible.
We want to launch the space mid-May. Reason being:
@hugi, @hampus, Brooks and I think it would be an idea to offer ‘summertime’ memberships/access at a price, present this to the community engaging in various festivals/ art projects/burns this summer. We can mention this would be a great way to support Blivande and also get trials of how the textiles rooms can be best put to use and just get more exposure. And help people out with their projects.
I volunteer to spend a few weekends or evenings tutoring or helping with costume/etc. making. We need this momentum, I believe. Thoughts?

I am also going to work on a basic training manual, LNT, rules, etc. as a prerequisite to using the room. @Jan_vL something you could help me out with if you are free?

Last thing. Thinking of doing the shop for the 2-3K necessities soon. @hampus are you still on a Wednesdays schedule at Tau so I could borrow the card from you or?

2 Likes

Hej AnjM, let me know when you have time. I might be able to meet some monday eve, except next mo I am abroad.

Go ahead. Approved, if you want to make that decision.

Brooks and I talked about this tonight, and I think it’s a good idea. We just have to figure out the details.

1 Like

Great stuff, @AnjM!

Any and all help with recruitment is always welcome! Great if you host some evenings in the coming months.

When it comes to painting of the room I can help out with that if you take lead on all the design decisions such as choice and purchase of color etc. Hopefully others here will want to join in as well!

Check out http://www.wermlanddesertplants.se/ for the best place to order cacti from in Sweden.

I have an extra laptop (Macbook Air) that is only 2 years or so. But it was damaged at BL and needs a new motherboard and some other fixes. Estimated repair costs of around 6 KSEK. If Tau wants to pay for the repairs then I could donate it to the space.

@Sero still has the company card from an earlier purchase last week but he will bring it back later today so it will be available in the house. You could pick it up tomorrow.

Updated.

Things I believe we could source/already have: (@Linnea )
Paper Scissors
A pair of cheaper (IKEA?) fabric scissors.
Ironing board.
Iron
A roll of thick cardboard paper.
Pencils/erasers.
Bins.

@brooks or @Jan_vL whenever you are available perhaps we can look into a second hand Overlocker or alternatively I could purchase it from Sycenter, we would be going above budget by 2K SEK for a brand new one.

We are close to getting to the stage of setting the room up. Some things need to be hung on the walls, the place can be painted, etc.
I don’t want to take creative license on decorating, so if you have any ideas we could do something… I do think it makes a difference, but here I would be happy for someone to take lead or share their ideas if they want.

I am here to ensure that things are in their place, the room is fully equipped and ‘user-friendly’. :slight_smile: And we are getting very very close to that.

1 Like

Hej AnjM,

was under the radar travelling abroad. Also travelling 19-28 April. 2k above budjet does not seem too bad. What does @hugi say?

When do you want to meet at Tau and start setting things up?

Ladies, gentlemen, beings.
@Jan_vL if you are around and feel like hanging out? Haven’t seen you in a while, and looking forward to hearing about these travels of yours (I hope it’s a holiday…).

Let’s reactivate this ship. I am intending to be in after work 6 onwards at Tau starting 6th May. My intention is to work on the Textiles Room, but I am also available to help with other tasks around the space.

I realised I am pressed for time for larger scale projects, but if anyone needs a demo on the sewing machine or short tasks to be assisted with I am also there, lurking, probably in the painting room if I am not in the textiles workshops.

1 Like

Oh, great that you find more time for Tao. I will take a big shovel and also make some free time. Wednesdays I usually meet Melina and we are working on our project for Borderland. Soon we will try to involve others from Tao and Blivande :wink:

I think Friday evening I can come to Tao! Just some days ago I bought a dress to work on for Borderland. I will bring it on Friday, maybe you can give me some advice…

2 Likes

Nice! I’ve been sick the last week and it’s sticking to me. Never made it out the house today. High temperature so going to see the doc. Effin’ annoying.
But I hope I can recuperate by Wednesday. Flu shouldn’t last for a month.
Looking forward to seeing what you are working on! See you.

1 Like

@Linnea and I just spent some time fixing the textile room. See photos!
Before:

After:

1 Like

We now have 3-phase power installed in the textile room and have successfully test run Olle’s sewing machine!

@Ollxor

1 Like

Hello @AnjM, @Jan_vL, @brooks, @Ollxor, @hugi, @hampus and all those who have been involved in the development of the textiles room.

This was one of the very active and transparent planning threads right at the beginning of Blivande. Now that we are running for over a year I would like to ask some of you if you have the time to reflect back on the plans and different states of the textile room, the estimates and plans that were made etc…

For example, what types of projects has the room mostly been used to at this point?
How are the different machines used?
Do we have all the inductions needed to use the more professional embroidery machine? Could we maybe use it for a workshop during the Blivande Akademie week in combination with some illustrator svg generation training? (@annielocke?)

1 Like

I have not been keeping track of the room.

@hanakin, @Linnea and @MariaMartin have been the most frequent users of the room so far in different time periods spread out over the year AFAIK. They can answer the question better than I can, but awaiting their input I would say that the room mostly has been used for smaller projects/personal stuff involving curtains and clothing. The exception being Hanakin’s art project that was supposed to be installed in a container but which I now think (?) is put on ice/postponed indefinitely, at least as an FT-specific installation.

• You can absolutely use the room for a Blivande Academy workshop!

• The embroidery machine has been somewhat of a failed experiment so far given the large investment cost. It has seen nearly zero usage since its two main champions (Brooks and Anji) ceased to be members soon after its purchase. Brooks was the one with previous knowledge about the machine and it’s not the most user friendly device given how old it is with outdated user interface and software (my impression).

• But if someone could take it on as a project and master it I’m sure we can still make something good come out of it!
  • Currently there’s an power supply issue for the professional sewing machine. This after the 16A power outlet was moved to another room. We’re looking at fixing this ASAP and it’s a job that involves @Joannis-Magnus. Hopefully we can fix it without buying another expensive outlet spare part (to replace one that broke during re-installation).

1 Like

I have some experience with CNC embroidery and could perhaps take a look at it and make some laminated instructions for people wanting to tinker… no promises ofc but might be helpful

2 Likes

That would be awesome, Annie-Locke!

that would be great!

Hi, is this post still relevant? I would like to learn how to saw
Tack