Projects ethnography planning

After having finished the ethnography and SSNA induction with @amelia I would like to layout and clear up a few questions and details for the project.

1. What is the formal research question for the PLATO project?
    I made out my own versions during the preparation which are the following:
    Content: How a diverse creative community can conduct project conception, planning prototyping and realisation together in a co-creative manner using digital communication channels, SSNA software and a prototyping area.
    Methodological: How do I integrate the method of SSNA with the local participants’ observations?
    Related: How can you organise outside institutions? What is perceived as an institutional setting? (In how for are the students and their projects institutionalized?)
    Do these make sense with your motivations and thoughts/the grant agreement @hugi and @jakobskote?
    How would you formulate the research question(s)?
    @hugi: "How can a decentralised and inclusive community sustainably steward a place"

2. How does the integration of the students into the platform/project happen?
    Will students be onboarded via events and workshops?
    Do you need me to do anything specific for them in terms of community management?

3. Is the Plato Graphryder already working? If yes, how can I (and others) access it? >>> after a few hundred anotations

4. How should we go about including the nondigital interactions and observations in the reports?
    Discussed that with @amelis. Since the Blivande and frihamnstorget community has crucial localised real live meeting and interaction aspects and some key community members as well as event participants are not very inclined to use the forum it would be good to address and find a way of including some of those observations as well.
    My suggestion: "Ethnography corner/ community diary/column corner/ subcategory: I would write a 1-page observation report after bigger events/once per month or so and also ask participants and organisers to submit their descriptions. This way we would digitalise some of the in-person observations, motivate others to comments with more their versions and be able to code it. For organisers or participants of Noden events or similar where I would not be presents we could motivate them to make such writeups because that means that their perspective and need will become documented and stewarded in the planning and research.

5. When and with what will the workshops start? @jakobskote would you have time to talk the workshop plans through with me in the next few weeks so I know what happens when and how I can help? (would be happy to also be involved in planning and facilitating)

6. What are the rules regarding pictures of people and art pieces taken during events when uploading/coding?

7. I would like to learn more about sense stack

8. Bringing traffic from the Facebook group(s) to the forum I am sure you discussed this already many times and Blivande keeps reminding, for example, the studio tau messenger chat users to move stuff into the forum. However, the reality is that in many cases this is a barrier many do not take. Do we need the type of discussions like in the TAU Facebook chat on the forum? What exactly would we need to bring over? Are there alternatives like a) easier access to the forum/chat thread like the “what’s up with you?” on edgeryders campfire? b) would it be possible to work out a way to copy and post some of the stuff from other chat tools into the forum? (Owen is working on a technical solution if I understand correctly) Maybe even (by hand) meaning again, something like a monthly summary, that anonymised but describes if there have been tensions and what type of question have been asked/solved?

9. Time reporting?

I am meeting later today with @hugi to discuss and answer some of these questions.

Everyone feel free to add answers and questions here at any time.

1 Like

"usually placemaking when done by grassroot organisations is focused on the “making” not the “keeping”/"stewardship.

How can we create interfaces between municipalities and grassroots initiatives.

• create trust inside and outside the initiative

NGI: https://graphryder1.edgeryders.eu/
OpenCare: http://graphryder2.edgeryders.eu/
POPREBEL: https://graphryder3.edgeryders.eu/

1 Like

from chat with @jakobskote on the 6th of May:

"It is a tool exploration to create a digital infrastructure for emergent decentralised co-created projects.

we try to see if the tools from the burner community can fit in the “more normal” social context. The first run is Frihamnstorget. (Burner Light (in the city) “Domesticated Burn”)

How do “normal” people react to use these tools and how can they be onboarded to use these tools?
People (especially in Swedish society) are able to think like that, but they need the ability to start to realise it.

Ethno:
How do people collaborate on the platform that is not Burners? How do they collaborate when they use the dreams platform?

Compare Different methods and takes on the tools provided.

Use ethnography to tailor the tools to different future users. >> Code groups well!

Interviews and reports of live events are important.
Create Subcategory for “real live observation” “Ethno corner”.

Students:
Not clear yet. (After tomorrow)"