Postponing Urban Burn 2020

So, on the meeting yesterday we decided that the best way to handle this situation, safety wise and administrative wise etc, is to postpone the event. And to do that now (we only have about 150 tickets sold). We will say that we postpone it “indefinitely”, but will continue the contact with the venue. We aim for an Urban Burn in late September/early October. Or something like that.

Here is a draft of a post to the community. I also suggest that we e-mail this to everyone who has bought a ticket.

Dear community,

At the open meeting for Urban Burn 2020 yesterday (11/3), a decision was made to indefinitely postpone the event. This means that there will NOT be an Urban Burn 2020 in April. Representatives from the venue was with us at the meeting and has agreed to keep our communication so that we can hopefully plan an event there in the foreseeable future. Our best bet at this moment is that we will have (the best ever) Urban Burn after the summer, in September/October.

The reason for this is, as you can guess, the spreading of the covid-19. We are in no way panicking over this. The reasons to postpone in regards to the virus are several. Partly, we believe that this is the responsible way to go, so that we as a community are not part of a wider spreading of a disease that will hurt people and society. We also believe that the specific structure of Urban Burn with many people (we are counting on up towards 1000 attending), a short timeframe to plan and a very open organizational structure would make us too vulnerable in too many ways.

The membership sale on BurnerTickets is closed since yesterday. Any already bought memberships will be valid for the future event, and you will get updates as soon as we know more. Questions on potential reimbursement will be discussed, as we are still figuring out this whole situation ourselves. More information on this will come.

We would like to see this as something positive. We will probably be able to have the venue (we are still not sure if our contacts there will still have the venue next semester, but probably) and even more time. We can use this time to build and prepare something truly amazing. I am personally extremely hyped about what can come out of this. Let’s spend the summer building crazy shit and come back with a bang!

And remember to take care of each other and the community. For the new faces who has emerged who were looking forward to their first burn experience, feel free to reach out and keep in touch!

All the love,
Urban Burn

Feel free to comment!

5 Likes

I think is a good call @filipnystrom, thank you.

With regards of reimbursements I think we should have a specific thread for it, because I’m not sure about it. I think one of the reasons to emphasize these are memberships and not tickets, is because we can justify to the tax agency that we’re not selling tickets and thus that we’re not taking moms for them.
So I’m not sure how to give back money from the ideel förening. I remember in afterglow to reimburse we had to do some acrobatics, actually I think we did not reimburse anyone.
Perhaps we can tell everyone that we keep their membership for when we organize the burn later in Q3, but if they want to have a reimbursement they can follow some process (we would need to define). What do you think?

With regards of postponing again, yes I think is a good call. Thank you :pray:

1 Like

Looks very good.
Go ahead and post it plus on FB and we can send the email from our Urban Burn account to those who already purchased. Can we get an email list? What’s the best way to mass-post to the 150 who already bought.

Yes, on the matter of reimbursing. We need to look into that and make no promises or statements yet.

I think best would be to tell people their ticket is secured for when we have postponed the event for. It’s likely things will settle in these months.
I am hesitant to start reimbursing at this point during a state of panic and confusion.

I like the post as well.

I agree with @AnjM - the preferred solution for us is most probably that people keep their tickets and they will be valid for the postponed event.

1 Like

I don’t think I make any promise in this message about reimbursement, I’m just saying that we will look into it and get back to them. Which we should say. Do you think I should not mention it at all?

But yes, good point. Let’s reformulate it.

=

The ticket sale is closed since yesterday. Any already bought tickets will be valid for the future event, and you will get updates as soon as we know more. Questions on potential reimbursement will be discussed, as we are still figuring out this whole situation ourselves. More information on this will come.

1 Like

Great post. Would it maybe be better to refer to the memberships as memberships instead of tickets or is that word used to be consistent with previous formulations? It seems like the only reasonable thing to do is to postpone the event.

Maybe we can allow the people who bought memberships to transfer their memberships before the sales start when the event is on again in the summer/fall?

1 Like

Yes, very easily. I can get it from BurnerTickets.

1 Like

Good point.
We should refer to them as Memberships because that is what they are.

1 Like

Yes, good point. They are called memberships when you buy them, and we should refer to them as memberships.

Regarding transfers - I don’t want this post to be that much longer, and I’m not sure how much info we should include (since we don’t know ourselves yet). I think that IF we can manage reimbursement easily, we should offer it. If we CANNOT reimburse, then we should go out with that kind of info.

2 Likes

Good!

I edited, please read again!

Corrected typos but yeh - fantastic post. Good that you kept it on a positive note. That is important!

Dear community,

At the open meeting for Urban Burn 2020 yesterday (11/3), a decision was made to indefinitely postpone the event.

This means that there will NOT be an Urban Burn 2020 in April.

Representatives from the venue were with us at the meeting and have agreed to keep our communication so that we can hopefully plan an event there in the foreseeable future.

Our best bet at this moment is that we will have (the best ever) Urban Burn after the summer, in September/October.

The reason for this is, as you can guess, the spreading of the covid-19.

We are in no way panicking over this. The reasons to postpone with regards to the virus are several. Partly, we believe that this is the responsible thing to do, so that we as a community are not part of a wider spreading of a disease that will hurt people and society. We also believe that the specific structure of Urban Burn with many people (we are counting on up towards 1000 attending), a short timeframe to plan and a very open organizational structure would make us too vulnerable in too many ways.

The membership sale on BurnerTickets is closed since yesterday. Any already bought memberships will be valid for the future event, and you will get updates as soon as we know more. Questions on potential reimbursement will be discussed, as we are still figuring out the situation ourselves. More information on this will come.

We would like to see this as something positive. We will probably be able to have the venue (we are still not sure if our contacts there will still have the venue next semester, but probably) and even more time. We can use this time to build and prepare something truly amazing. I am personally extremely hyped about what can come out of this. Let’s spend the summer building crazy shit and come back with a bang!

And remember to take care of each other and the community. For the new faces who have emerged who were looking forward to their first burn experience, feel free to reach out and keep in touch!

All the love,

Urban Burn

2 Likes

Thank you @AnjM! <3

1 Like