Hoffnung 3000 platform

Hi!

Creating a thread for this years new platform that we will be using. Any questions or suggestions can be posted here.

Any weird behaviour and bugs should ideally be posted directly on their GitHub page, but if you don’t feel comfortable doing that yourself, do let us know here and we’ll post a bug-report.

One known issue right not is that the “Firstname” field does not allow Swedish Å,Ä,Ö characters (amongst others) when registering a new account. I reported this a few days ago and they have actually fixed it already. I will incorporate the fix on to our own instance of Hoffnung shortly:

Link to our platform: https://urban-burn-stockholm.herokuapp.com/

General FAQ and usage guide: https://hoffnung3000.de/usage-guide.html

2 Likes

As you might have seen, or will see when logging in and getting acquainted with Hoffnung is that the “places” you set up can be configured with GPS coordinate data or addresses which are then relayed to an Open Street map API (Open source mapping alternative to google maps etc).

Hoffnung was or is the name of a festival that had similarities to a burn in terms of the co-creative parts at least as I’ve understood. Although, the difference here being that it was spread out over a whole city.

Reason I mention this is that since we are located in a building, it could be tricky to utilize this part of the platform. A workaround could be to include the location from placement code system in your place so people can locate it. So the “place” “Magic unicorn pond BAR” would include the location code A2, which could then be checked against the placement code map.

What would be even cooler though, is to map out the entire building we’re in in “Open street map”, as we have an image of the floor plan. This would in turn then be visible in the interactive map portion on the Hoffnung platform, making it easier to find things.

All of this could potentially be unnecessary since the venue isn’t that big and it’s nice to sometimes just get lost in the stream and see where you end up!

However, the idea behind the platform is still really cool and I almost want to implement it just for fun and proof of concept. I see potential usefulness for other burns with more open space outdoors.

For e.g. how many times weren’t you asked at Borderland where a certain camp was located or looking for one yourself because there was a cool workshop you wanted to attend to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I completely agree! And don’t underestimate being able to plan out the places even of a small venue. For the first Urban Burn of 2016 there was a crammed co-created Google Drawing for placement. It really helps people to be able to visualize the space.

And if it’s possible for people to place themselves elsewhere, perhaps some people will use the feature to plan pre-gatherings, planning meetings, after-parties and decompressions all around town.

I can’t get through because of the “payment information” error during registration. There are also a ton of unnecessary required fields asking for my address and phone number. I seem to recall that these can be removed with some ENV variable.

Thanks for pointing that out Hugi, I had actually only used the premade admin login so I never noticed. I’ve disabled ticket sales now and this showed that it’s a mandatory part of the registration step as you cannot finish it at all now:

I’ve found the corresponding .js script for both this and the registration forms as there was no support to turn of specific data fields. Will make the necessary changes and post an update here.

1 Like

Payment issue sorted by setting price of ticket to 0. It’s now possible to register!

Will push a new version that removes the requirement for address info during the weekend. You can just input whatever in there until then.

1 Like

While the platform is ready to use in it’s current state, there is still some information and links etc that we should add to the different pages to ease the user experience.

Ideas for things to add:

• Links to the Hoffnung documentation and usage guide
  • Burning man principles for the “terms of agreement” that need to be accepted during registration
  • Copy the latest event information from the fb-event.
  • Guidelines in terms of placement process which can then later be assigned to the “places” that are added. (I will notify placement-lead Andreas about the need for this.)
1 Like

As you might have seen, or will see when logging in and getting acquainted with Hoffnung is that the “places” you set up can be configured with GPS coordinate data or addresses which are then relayed to an Open Street map API (Open source mapping alternative to google maps etc)
What would be even cooler though, is to map out the entire building we’re in in “Open street map”, as we have an image of the floor plan. This would in turn then be visible in the interactive map portion on the Hoffnung platform, making it easier to find things.

Documentation on how to map an indoor space in OSM: https://blog.openstreetmap.org/tag/indoormaps/
If we add this, this could be utilized by the already existing Open street map integration present in Hoffnung for dream-placement purposes for e.g.

I noticed a bug when I tried to register an account. H3k doesn’t like “ä”, which it doesn’t recognise as an alphanumeric character. I replaced “ä” with “ae” in my name to get a workaround.

I’m a bit annoyed by the lack of a clear overview, accessible from a headline link to check the status of the planning process. I could get somewhat of an overview through the right sidebar though.

I just pushed a new build with the bugfix mentioned in my first message, you can now enter ÄÅÖ characters in the name fields.

Could you elaborate a bit? As in ,what kind of information and on what page would it be good to see it? :slight_smile: There is still a need to fill out the pages with information.

The lead team are having a meeting this evening where this will be discussed amongst some other important topics.