Dome / Temple sketch

hi everyone,
i just signed up on this platform, thank you for making me feel included, i m very happy to contribute,

here is a preliminary sketch, the distance between the ‘decorative’ triangles on top of the columns should be greater and the dome will be attached to the containers around, but at least it gives a first idea of the look.

please let me know what you think, constructive criticism is crucial, tack

4 Likes

Hey Alex and welcome to the forum!

When it comes to the dome and the pillars much of the design is already decided (and I see you have incorporated it into your work with Annie-Locke´s “ice cream cone” design for the concrete foundations and so on.

What is needed for the next step now is a design for the “decorative triangles”. I’m planning to work on that this week but feel very welcome to add your suggestions and ideas here to this thread!

1 Like

This is a really beautiful sketch! Does this come from discussions with @elch and @missChief? As Hampus says there is a lot of movement on this front already, but I guess you’ve met the crew?

As you can see, we are not all fully aware of the details and connections in projects, so excuse the confusing answers. Your contribution is really appreciated and welcome!

2 Likes

Alex started sketching this after conversations with me and probably others as well around the square at a recent WIP. He’s also doing a sketch/suggestion for the cafe container “eye”-side, developing the eye-concept further with lashes and so on.

2 Likes

Yes that was done sitting next to me and @elch at WIP. Here is the test cut we produced. We decided that 2x this scale was appropriate as this is too small details for the plasma and bigger size works better with scale of the columns. After making this test, there wasn’t a consensus that the design was good enough so we did not cut any more. Waiting for more specific squiggle/doodle feedback until making another version of the file.

And I drew the bench sketches on the left of the drawing so Alex and I are in sync in that regard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ok great, tack

1 Like

thank you, its great to share here so we can all see the advancements

1 Like

a little bird told me that a repainting of wall left to the eye would be appreciated as well :wink:

1 Like

it looks beautiful, very nice design,

do we have a plan of the dome / radius and measurements of the columns and sits please.

1 Like

Wow guys, this is exciting! Have you seen @bobspeakman? :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah I have a rhino file of it

2 Likes

okay nice,

if you would like to email it to me it would be great,

alexcolard@me.com

thanks

2 Likes

hey,
what about a design like this one for the dome / column support

3 Likes

This is in line with what I have been thinking as well, working with the existing patterns and shapes of the dome (i.e. triangles and pentagons etc.). However I would spontaneously think that your suggested shape isn’t strong enough. And to make it strong enough the points where the triangles meet/connect will have to be made too chubby/think to look good.

But I could very well be wrong (not an expert in this by any means) and @missChief and @elch might think differently!

Something that isn’t clear from the sketch is whether your triangles are made from triangular frames enclosing air or a 50/50 mix of solid triangles and their “negative”/non-existent counterparts/shadows. See what I mean?

The latter would be the best alternative IMO.

We have a deadline for this design set for Friday so let’s continue exploring design themes until then!

2 Likes

@hampus @elch @Alex.Colard if you are concerned about structure but want this kind of geometry we could always vary the thickness of the elements in the correct places. Would do a simple parametric attractor to force lines and scale thickness based on that. Was it you hampus who was wanting organic shapes or was that toby? whats the “vibe” we are going for?

2 Likes

I would try to go for a (Greek?) temple like vibe

1 Like

love these

Found this structure walking down the street today

Think the first step is to just decide organic or geometric. Then we can go forward. What say you? @hugi @hampus @elch @Alex.Colard @Manu

1 Like

My preference is for organic, similar to the direction we were going in before.