Collective Practice & Holobiont Reading Circle

dear Blivande Community, @Sero has introduced me to Blivande and with this post I would like to plan an acitivity together with the group of the Collective Practice Research Course that I am part of.
My name is Sina, I am a researcher for ecologies & the arts based in Berlin and working translocally with the Arts Collaboratory ecosystem.
Collective Practice Research Course (C.P.R.C.) is a trans-disciplinary Post-Master course based at the Royal Institute of Arts, Stockholm. With 16 participants we started working together in September 2020 and have until June 2021 to create our collective work.

what: 12 C.P.R.C. particiants spend half a day at Blivande to practice openess and engage locally with the community, to share our practices, and to start conversations. We invite Blivande community to the reading circle and would love to join the noon meditation.

why:
Explicitly or not collective practices determine much of what we do. They are qualified by terms like participation, group, collectivity, ensemble, collaboration, community, cooperation, sharing, assembly, commons, networks. Collective practices exist in all societies and they have a rich yet complex heritage in arts, politics and sciences. Often considered as a strictly human activity, collective practices can also be performed with or by nonhuman entities, such as animals, plants or Artificial Intelligence. How does the current ecological and technological condition affect the way that we live, work and think collectively? Which collective practices foster better understandings and transformation of societal issues?

who: Around 12 particpants from all over Europe of the CPRC would like to come to Blivande; some CPRC-particpants will join online for the reading circle

suggested time schedule on Tuesday October 6th of October:

• 11.30-12.00 Arrival of Go to Blivande
  • 12.00-12.30 joining the daily Meditation
  • 12:30-13:30 Lunch break (self-organized, participants bring own food)
  • [13:00-13:30] Setting up zoom equipment to share session with online participants
  • 13:30-15:30 Reading Circle on the ‘Holobiont’ by Sina Ribak with co-facilitation by Gregory Castera, + ONLINE via zoom. We will read together out loud a selection of texts from Lynn Margulis and Scott F. Gilbert, learning about at symbiogenesis and it’s role for co-evolution.
  • 15.30-17.00 More time to explore Blivande space

we need: your generosity of your time, a space to sit in a circle with enough distance (covid) and calm (reading aloud together), and wifi connection (online participants) during the 2 hours of the reading circle from 13:30 - 15:30

we offer: our curiousity, our listening and hope to give some inspiration through the ‘Holobiont’ reading.

Looking forward to your comments, questions, suggestions.
I’m very excited to make these plans - myself I will participate virtually only unfortunately this time - however having visited Blivande 3 weeks ago I feel this urge to connect and would be very happy to make it happen togehter. Thank you.
best wishes, Sina

TEASER for the READING CIRCLE: Beyond Individuals

The Twentieth Century was a powerful time for thinking through individuals. Individuals were the ideological unit of political “freedom”. They also became the analytic motor of influential sciences, from economics to population biology. “Imagine individuals,” both scholars and pundits told, “and you can conjure the world.”

The imagined autonomy of the individual was thought to rise or fall on its own merits, that is, through the fitness of the individuals it produced. Individuals were just one kind of self-contained unit that could be summed up or divided like building blocks, from genes to populations to species – and sometimes even to nations, religions, or civilizations.

Today the autonomy of all these units has come under question, and each question works to undermine the edifice built from the segregation of each from each. As biologist Scott Gilbert tells us, “we have never been individuals.” His “we” refers to all life; his “individuals” are autonomous species as well as single organisms. If most of the cells of the human body are microbes, which “individual” are we? We can’t segregate our species nor claim distinctive status - as a body, a genome, or an immune system. And what if evolution selects for relations among species rather than “individuals”?
Quote from: Anna Tsing, Heather Swanson, Elaine Gan, Nils Bubandt (eds.) (2017): Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, p. M71-M72.

2 Likes

This course certainly sounds interesting. Happy you found us! I’m one of the old gang in this new project of “Becoming” here in the freeport of Stockholm.

I’m sure there are people here who could be interested. I know that you and @Sero know each other already, so I’ll let you work out the details.

This means that we need someone who knows the house to be the host and set up the space.
I am myself running another workshop that day, so can’t do it myself, unfortunately. Hopefully, someone else can.

Interesting event!
@laura-g @Nicke
who else can we ping?

I think @HannaRC, @EmilieW, @Idiltng, @MariaEuler, @filipnystrom, @AnjM, @maria.eckerberg could all be interested.

2 Likes

Thank you dear Hugi for all your comments.
Regarding the set-up question: Gregory Castera and the other CPRC participants will be there and will mostly take care of it. But of course, it would be helpful if someone from Blivande would be there if help is needed. That’s why I’ve put in the description as well.
Anyhow, if this is not feasible this time that’s fine of course - we could instead do the reading circle holobiont session at the Mejan campus, then it would be less porous unfortunatley. We feel it is important to leave the bubble. So, I would be happy if it works out at Blivande, but stay open for other possibilities.
thank you and best wishes,
Sina

@Sero, would you be able to host them?

Yes I can!

2 Likes